Countries of Africa

Out of curiousity, I played a quiz with a couple friends on the number of A frican countries we could name in 10 minutes. I was expecting a score of around 50% but was surprised when we were able to name more (and groan in frustration when we saw the ones we missed). Although in comparison, we were able to name all the European countries in 3 minutes. 

The results of the quiz I played with my friends.

Perhaps this shows that with the reach of modern media and the news, we are becoming increasingly well acquainted with locations beyond where we live... or that I have particularly international and nerdy friends. I think this gives a little hope that the narrative of Africa nowadays is no longer as simplistic or stereotypical as it was of Wainaina's writing in 2005. 

Comments